Looking for a Crystal Ball? Trends and Disruptors in Health Care
2018 Research Symposium:
Among the certainties in health care is the constant pace of change and its intensity. At this Research Symposium held prior to AMCP Nexus, presenters reviewed numerous factors that have the potential for disruption of health care services, and implications of stakeholder inaction.
New findings on health care trends were presented, building upon the AMCP Foundation’s legacy of research about influences on the practice of pharmacy. Six trends and two global influencers were examined: affordability and value; innovative and curative therapies; optimal health coverage; industry consolidation; population health management; expedited drug approval; social determinants of health; and technology. Additional presentations discussed innovations in health care from physician, patient, health plan and employer perspectives.
Reed V. Tuckson, MD, Managing Director, Tuckson Health Care Connections; Former EVP and Chief of Medical Affairs, UnitedHealth Group and Medical Care on “The Changing Health Care Landscape – Realizing Comprehensive, Multidisciplinary, and Integrated Health”
Kevin B. Sneed, PharmD, Dean, USF College of Pharmacy; Senior Associate Vice President, USF Health
Thank you! Pfizer, Inc. provided support for our Trends in Health Care series, as well as this Research Symposium. Additional Symposium funding partners were Genentech and Merck, with Xcenda as research partner.
Payment and delivery go together, and cannot be uncoupled. Simply increasing patient cost-sharing does not equate to patients taking on a consumer role in their own care.
- Symposium Summary Webinar Dec. 5, 2018
- Symposium Summary Report
- Speaker Presentations:
- New Research Findings from AMCP Foundation: Anticipating Disruptors in Health Care Trends
- Managed Care Pharmacy: Preparing for the Future
- The Practice of Pharmacy in the Future
- Physicians: Is Cancer Treatment a Stalking Horse for the Future of Health Care
- Patients: The Future of Person-Centered Care
- Employers: Employers, Benefit Creativity, and Disruptive Factors
- Press Release: 8th Annual Research Symposium Discusses Health Care Trends, Disruptors and Opportunities Oct. 24, 2018
- AMCP Meeting Highlights & Insights for Pharmacy Specialists, published with JMCP:
- The Future of Managed Care: AMCP Foundation Research Symposium (p. 14)
A Health Plan’s Take on Innovations in Health Care: Medical Care and the Homeless (p. 15)
- Final Program
Research about health care trends that place new demands on the practice of pharmacy continues to be an integral element of the Foundation’s mission. Initiatives like our Annual Research Symposia advance the collective knowledge about how managed care pharmacy impacts patient outcomes.